Wow, Memories.


I basically became a gamer in second grade. Our family was the first in our neighborhood to purchase a "personal computer" back in 1982 or so.


I'm happy to say that when I look at this image I still get a hint of the mystical wonder I felt as a kid playing with that big, cold box of magic. I'm not sure I've had another birthday or Christmas since where I didn't ask for at least one video or computer game. In 1985 I played ten minutes of the game Aztec at a computer store and my desire to own it consumed me until I finally found it under the tree that year.

"How good could it have been, really?" you ask.

I can show you.



I spent months playing this game. It was extremely flawed -- movement was cumbersome and confusing; the maze was full of game-breaking glitches and bugs, often making the game unwinnable -- but I loved it. At the time it was the closest one could get to actually being Indiana Jones, and to get to do that at nine years old is just extraordinarily cool.

No comments: