Gotta Know?




Today at 10AM San Francisco time, Apple kicks off their yearly Developers' Conference with a keynote address. Rumor has it they'll be unveiling the new iPhone, and I'm considering getting on to the Apple site and following along.

But why? I can't buy the new iPhone today, and even if I could, I already own a perfectly good one that doesn't need replacing. No, it isn't about the having of the thing... it's about the hearing about it. I realized over the weekend that something troubling is happening to me...

Last Monday I actually logged on and watched live streaming video of the Microsoft presentation at E3. I spent my mornings for the rest of the week snooping around the GameTrailers website for a first look at the latest videos. I even hit refresh a few times in the hope that something new would post while I was there... just for me.

What the hell? I'm usually not like that. Nine times out of ten, I'm the last to know and the first to admit that I'm okay with it... Brian sends me an email or tells me what I'm missing when we're in the lobby of some multiplayer shoot 'em up on Live. But I've discovered lately that there's something kinda cool about being there (or at least watching) when the word breaks. And I think I'm becoming addicted to it.

So what's next? Will I be one of those guys who logs on to a forum just to post "First!"? Will I actually GO to a gaming expo or tech conference just so that I can say that I witnessed the origin of the Next Big Thing? Will I get strung out on updates? Trade sexual favors for breaking news? God help me, will I subscribe to Twitter??

No, I've got to be strong... I'm relatively plugged in. I'll hear about the what's new or next soon enough, right? I won't... miss anything, will I?!?

Maybe just this one last announcement. You know, to help with the shakes. I'll quit after that, I promise...

No comments: